The E-1 Treaty Trader Visa Requirements And Eligibility-FinancePlusInsurance

The E-1 Treaty Trader Visa Requirements And Eligibility

If you are not a native of the United States but you wish to reside there and conduct business, it’s important to act and obtain the right visa. One such visa is the E-1 Visa. This type of visa is available for citizens of other countries with which the US has an active treaty of commerce and navigation.

Below we will explore how the E-1 Visa works and what the requirements are for getting one. We will cover everything from eligibility to the process of obtaining such a visa, and the many benefits it offers.

What Exactly is an E-1 Visa?

For this type of visa, you can apply as an individual, company, or employee. The visa will allow you to enter the United States and conduct international trade, of course, if such a visa is awarded to you.

The US is not specific about the type of trade, so there’s no limit on how much trade should happen. However, there’s a strong significance placed on the number of transactions. To put it simply, the more transactions you make as a trader in the US the higher value your visa will hold.

Bear in mind that aside from the main beneficiary, the E-1 visa will also apply to the person’s immediate family.

Who can Obtain this Type of Visa?

To find out whether you are eligible and if you are, make the process of obtaining an E-1 Visa much more streamlined, your best course of action is to hire a lawyer. An expert E1 visa lawyer will guide you through each step of the process and help you obtain the right documentation you’ll need to get this type of visa.

However, before hiring a lawyer, you will have to fulfill the following requirements:

  • Carry a substantial trade to and from the US;
  • Be a national citizen of a country with which the US has an active treaty of commerce and navigation.

More importantly, remember that this type of visa is not permanent and if it expires, you will have to depart the US.

A Major Benefit and a Small Drawback

If you obtain an E-1 Visa, you will be able to reside and carry out your business in the US for 2 years and if you meet all the requirements, this period can be extended. And the good thing is that there is no limit to the extensions you can apply for.

Going on, as an E-1 visa holder you can leave the US anytime you desire so you won’t have to worry about taking a vacation back in your motherland.

However, if you are a big future entrepreneur buzzing ideas, you might run into a little bit of a limitation when it comes to expanding your business. The US will grant you a visa only for one particular activity and you will be allowed to operate only in that field.

Required Documents and Applying for the Visa

To apply for an E-1 visa, you will need to prepare the following documents:

  • Form DS-160: for nonimmigrant visa applicants;
  • Form DS-156E: nonimmigrant investor applications;
  • Evidence of nationality;
  • Your CV;
  • Evidence of establishment in the US;
  • Evidence that your business is generating profits legally;
  • Proof of at least one year of trading activity;
  • A copy of your passport;
  • Color ID photograph.

The E-1 visa application will cost you $205, but there might be some additional costs, so be wary. When it comes to applying, your best option is to leave it to an expert lawyer who has previous experience with helping individuals receive this type of visa. If you want to do it on your own, you can visit the official USCIS page to find out how you can file your application.

That being said, you will have to be patient as visa processing can take up to four weeks and more.


Once you know more about the E-1 visa and how it works, it will be much easier to know how you can obtain one. If you are eligible for this type of visa and you want to operate in the US, don’t hesitate to hire a lawyer and work together to obtain a visa that might change your future for the better.